Music Banter - View Single Post - U2 90s Discography Review
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roygbiv View Post
I mention fan appraisal due to the popularity of its singles selling millions among the fans, so while many thought they had sold out, most thought they were pretty amazing, not to mention the slew of new fans they acquired. But I think people today still feel that this is their first "sellout" album. To hell with 'em : P it's deep enough to stand against poorly founded criticism.
I've always thought it was a pretty silly criticism of the album too. If anything, I would think making an album with an accompanying theatrically released movie a la Rattle and Hum is more of a sell out move than anything they did with Achtung Baby. In fact, I've never understood what people thought was the big difference between Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. I mean the band changed their sound a bit but the circumstances were no different; both were Brian Eno produced albums chock full of radio friendly songs. The only real difference I see is that The Joshua Tree has somber black and white photography of the band looking very serious on the cover. Can it really something as superficial as the packaging makes people perceive Achtung Baby as somehow more commercial?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote