Music Banter - View Single Post - Mastodon-Crack the Skye
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Music Addict

Nice review. I must say that it is not a grower album for me. I liked it instantly. Though I was a little put off by the length and abrupt ending, I feel its appropriate for the story and emotion of the album. I mainly enjoyed the lyrics, but the concept is equally mind-blowing. I see this transition as extremely beneficial to Mastodon in their growth as musicians and a band. If you've watched the DVD, you'll see how well they work together and how amazing of a drummer Dailor is. He really contributes in the dimensional layering of their music by adding the minor sounds you can't really single out while listening to the album. Also, you will find out who Skye is. If you want good articles, check out this month's Revolver or Altanta's Creative Loafing. Lastly, I enjoy good screams and growls, too, but there is just something about being about to sing, too that I feel makes a good screamer or growler. Hinds and Sanders have distinct voices that compliment each other very well, and I really hear them using these tools to their benefit - maybe not to full potential, but definitely getting there.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote