Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the T.V. a brainwash device or are people just parnoid
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #73 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd85 View Post
funny how you get your **** tickled about a conversation between me and toretorden. i doubt he knew he was talking to a canadian, who was talking about an american tv show, who was responding to someone who was likely american.
I wrote :

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
I didn't write it based on an assumption that he's an american (though I thought he was after reading your last reply) ..
Quote:
so far im getting tired of him constantly talking about how norway is better than american. saying things like 'physical punishment is wrong' because they do it differently there and then call it 'kid beating' to make america look like its made up of a bunch of vicious beast. and i didnt bring america into the dicsussion, lucifer_sam did; maybe you should do some better investigative reporting before you start pointing fingers.
I do this constantly? I didn't know that. I can see you got irritated with the corporal punishment thread. If you read the posts without paranoid, preconcieved ideas, you'll see that I write early on that most of "us" (meaning everyone on the boards) have probably experienced corporal punishment. I never wrote that it was exclusive to the US, it just so happens that a lot of studies come from there. I did post studies from other places as well .. I remember one from New Zealand for example. People slap their kids in Norway as well, I never wrote they don't.

Quote:
egotistical? i was curious as to where he draws all of his assumptions from, the all-so-reliable internet or personal experience. no no, egotistical would be something like constantly taking cheap shots at someone like yukon or wendycal who you know is dumber than dirt just to continue to make them look that way so that everyone will go 'wow ethan is so smart'. your canadian right?
What the hell are you on? What kind of assumptions would that be?

edit :

As an attempt to stay on topic, as I wrote I'm not particularly fond of the market's grasp on the TV channels. Put bluntly, commercials bore me. However, I will argue that TVs have great real and potential worth to any society .. I just don't think shows like Date My Mom account for much of it (but perhaps a little still). I think news are good and so is every educational program you can watch and there's quite a lot of those. At least there are if you look for them.

Watching BBC nature documentaries and various other shows where biologists are checking out bugs in jungles or tranquilizing polar bears from choppers in the arctic made me want to become a biologist. Although I can't say all my motivation came from the telly (far from it), it added to it and maybe it was the final push which made me go for it.

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-25-2009 at 03:48 PM.