Music Banter - View Single Post - Ooh! Ooh! Judge me next!
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
i was being serious in a childishly excited way, we don't even have a Ween thread. Or maybe I made one...
yeah not all their stuff is great depending on what you're after but i assumed you were a fan since they were in your intro thing. oh well!
i'll just wrap it up with a quick preference flow chart cause they are so popular around here
Pure Guava>>Chocolate and Cheese>>>>Mollusk>>>the vaguely annoying super lo-fi early stuff>>> the rest

the thing with Ween is you can tell they listen to a lot of 70's Beatles-y soft rock and when they could be bothered they were master pop craftsmen; but they did write in a variety of genres and had that retarded scatological side. Just not all in one song like Monsieur Bungle. A lot more tongue-in-cheek as well vis à vis the voice manipulation, which is probably what makes you grit your teeth.

And Bungle are spotless really because they paced themselves to three excellent albums over a decade
Well, just to clarify this to future readers/listeners, I'm not really a big fan of the "fave list" - not for movies, not for books, anything really because I don't like to put some sort of parameter around my exploration of music. It's free-flowing and always evolving, just as any of your musical interests. Frankly, I didn't list but the gist of what I'm into. They're not favorites, but definitely musicians that I'd like to think I've explored deeply enough to list them. And yes, though Ween is not one of my favorites, I deeply appreciate and respect them for what they've created. Yes, you're right. The poppy stuff is what kills it for me a lot of the times. You described them pretty well, though and not many people can put it into a small paragraph like that. Kudos.

As for Bungle ...
333 is offline   Reply With Quote