Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bulldog 150
Thread: The Bulldog 150
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #150 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
[B]

15. The Zombies - Odyssey and Oracle (1968)

I won't lie; it's not like I'm a massive fan of psychedelia or anything. This, though, counts as my favourite ever such album, mixing dreamy melodies, harmonised choruses and colourful swathes of mellotron based around the rock 'n' roll song structure. Ironically, considering in Time Of the Season it spawned their biggest hit, Odyssey and Oracle was intended as a swansong for a band on the verge of splitting up during recording. The results are just mesmerising, and ones which made an instant impact on yours truly. With solid rhythms, white-hot piano melodies and textured mellotrons, it delivers some of the best psychedelic songs ever in the form of Changes and Hung Up On a Dream, as well as some wonderfully composed pop songs with that same psychedelic air about them like the uplifting Friends Of Mine and Care Of Cell, and more downbeat, emotional centrepieces for the album such as Beechwood Park and Butcher's Tale. I could go on, but there's already a pretty solid review of this somewhere in this forum, so I'll just say it's an end-to-end classic and one of the very finest albums of the 60s.
The best bits: A Rose For Emily, Changes, Friends Of Mine
I've never heard any Zombies stuff but this sounds interesting. I'm gonna be all over this. Do you have an up? If you dont I wouldnt worry about it too much, I'm sure its easy to find and you've been kind enough to throw a few my way in the past. Good review by the way.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote