Music Banter - View Single Post - Nick Cave is Better Than All The Artists That Have Threads In Here
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #116 (permalink)
Schizotypic
Souls of Sound Sailors

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds:
From Her to Eternity

Iv'e spent at least a good few hours over the last couple days listening carefully and taking note on Nick Cave's From Her To Eternity. In doing so, I have developed opinions concerning all kinds of different aspects of the album. Getting on with it, I will try to summarize the key points best I can. My only hope is that my review(s) at some point serves to be useful.

Put some headphones on and crank up the volume. You're not going to want to miss a sound. Ready? From Her To Eternity begins with a dark and dour (and very personalized) covor of Leonard Cohen's Avalanche. The Heartbeat guitar, pounding drums, and enthralling burried tones set the gound for a theatrical, and emotional, rollercoaster.

Know now that Nick Cave is a master of storytelling. Carrying us from our own cosy domains into the slow-paced and morose world of From Her to Eternity. Each track tells a tale, just bleeding of expression. The Bad Seeds, taking full advantage of their instruments and Cave's diverse delivery, both lyrically and musically have birthed scenes which move like acid-induced chaos; geometrically percise, completely random, and all-encompasing as it even envades your way of thinking. I can honestly say it quickly took me the he!! out of my room.

Although this slow-paced atmosphere may be uncomfortable at times, I think it is necessary to paint such a realistic picture. Songs like Saint Huck or A Box For Black Paul seemed to drag on. After some thought, and lot of re-listening, I personally believe the album on a whole benefits from this more then any damage it may have caused.

In conclusion, From Her To Eternity was one of the most interesting albums I've come across. Theatrical, enthralling, and morose- very well done. Before I finish, I want to advice to skip over In The Ghetto, The Moon Is In The Gutter, and the 1997 cut of From Her To Eternity. The original vinyl did not contain any of those songs as they all released after the LP debuted, and I think they take from the album on a whole.

17/20

Last edited by Schizotypic; 03-28-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Schizotypic is offline   Reply With Quote