Music Banter - View Single Post - Mr. Bungle? Meshuggah? Avant-Garde Metal!
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #71 (permalink)
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
because that's what they call themselves.

and they really are one of the most innovative metal acts out there. they're predisposed to making complex structured songs and have an enormous strength in muscling out unusual polyrhythms. what's strange about meshuggah is that almost all of their music is written entirely by the drummer (tomas haake), including the lyrics. and while i hate using "technical ability" as a means to gauge my taste in music it's undeniable that they've got it. i recommend destroy erase improve, but any album is a good starting point.

another band which hasn't received that much hype (apart from jackhammer) is gojira, a french metal act in a similar vein.
Thanks for the good info on Meshuggah. I'll check into your suggestion. I can't say much more and won't about them until I take a listen.

As for Gojira. I'm pretty sure I mentioned them in my introduction. I'm still getting to know their music. I know they've been around awhile, but I haven't listened to any older stuff. Love From Mars to Sirius and still gettin' acquainted with The Way of All Flesh.

Thanks for the reply.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote