Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #1059 (permalink)
Blue
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Pink Floyd-La Carrera Panamericana (1992)

Nick Mason and David Gilmour took part in this legendary race in the early 90's. A documentary was made and the Floyd supplied the soundtrack. Most of the tracks were left over from A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON and consist of fairly average instrumentals. Still nice to have if you love the Floyd.

I had no idea that even existed. I'll have to get my hands on a copy.

Censored Colors - Portugal. The Man

I thought there were a number of really great stand out tracks on this album. I loved the reverb quality of the album too, it adds this interesting mood to it all. There's a lot of layered vocals which I quite enjoyed, which makes it sound almost choral at times. Good album in my books.

Our Endless Numbered Days - Iron and Wine

I thought this album was really great as well. It was really an introduction of sorts to Iron and Wine, and I thoroughly enjoyed it all. The acoustic style mood they create at times is so beautiful and soft; it's like a gentle breeze of beautiful harmony. I love the guitar work and vocals of it all, but particularly tracks like Fever Dream, Cinders and Smoke and Passing Afternoon. Great stuff.

Dolores - Bohren and Der Club of Gore

This album was really interesting, and really caught me and made me stop on the first listen. The whole mood is phenomenal, with this warm, lush but subdued and omnious sound. I think it was described as "doom ridden jazz music" and I could definitely see why. I'm not really sure how it would fit genre wise, but I would definitely recommend it if you like experimental things. It has a very subdued, dark and tempered feel overall, but uses warm instrumentation like (what I presume is) an electric keyboard of sorts. Lots of slow jazz style drumming as well, with plenty of brush work. The tracks with saxophone particularly blew me away; it was so simple but so incredible. I guess I'm quite drawn to minimalist music though.

24 Nights - Eric Clapton

I found this in a local music shop the other day, and though I haven't heard it all, what I've heard is really great. His guitar work over these tracks is really great, and his tone alone is worth the listen in my opinion. He does a 13 minute Old Love which basically turns into an incredible jam. His guitar work on the whole track is spot-on.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote