Music Banter - View Single Post - How to engage in music?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kamikazi Kat
Music Addict

I feel the same way too. When I'm listening to music, I tend to get more into it if I'm doing some sort of simple activity that requires very little thought. I like to walk while listening to music. I tend to walk in rhythm to the music, not really strictly on time, but somehow matching it without thinking (one time I realized that I have been walking so I would hit the first beat of every measure every 3 steps). I'll do this when the music I'm listening to has a heavy groove to it, like Meshuggah. I tend to just walk without anything matching up when listening to something fast like Lightning Bolt. For some reason I was more visual when listening to the faster and crazier stuff like Lightning Bolt, my eyes would look around more. While with the more rhthymic stuff my mind was more focused on walking, rather then looking around.

I know all of these details because I was doing a fair amount of walking and music listening today because I had to walk from my house to my school to play the drums in the school musical.

Also, It seems that when I'm listening to really noisy and chaotic music like An Albatross or Naked city, I tend to switch songs and bands really often. The longer I am in this mood to listen to crazy music, the more I seem to switch and the more crazy songs I tend to switch to. Like instead of just listening to an album, I'll just switch to the songs that are the fastest and most crazy, and as soon as the part that I seem to have a random urge for is over, I switch again. I seem to do this more often when I have less time to listen to music, or when I generally feel hyper. I only seem to do this when there is nothing else to distract me. Whatever activity I seem to do is fast and usually inconsistant.
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote