Music Banter - View Single Post - Album that changed your musical outlook...?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #61 (permalink)
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I don't think I listened to the CD at all for a long time. It wasn't until I finally got my license that I listened to this thing for the first time. Driving by myself afforded me the time away from my family so that I could engage in the music, and I really did. I got so enamored at the first whiff that I would drive to a remote location and park, but keep the stereo on and immerse myself in the music. As I got older, the album stayed with me (remarkably). I'd listen to it when I was at work (forbidden), doing some errand or cutting the grass (the only way I've been able to undergo such a chore).

It's only been four or five years since I heard it first but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be with me for much longer than that.
Apologies for lengthiness and possibly off-topic.

First of all, great album. I don't know about favorites (I mean, can you really play favorites with Floyd?), but it's definitely up there on my list.

Secondly, I've been thinking about how listening to music in a car (driving or immobile) effects the music and response to the music. Guiltily, one of my favorite things to do is to listen to music while I'm driving, hence my deep appreciation for road trips. Lately, though, I've been thinking about the effects of this guilty pleasure. In my car, with the windows up, I am in a womb of music. There are times that I can't stop driving because I just want more music. I can even name a couple of albums that became favorites because of something I notice while driving and listening to it. Do we interpret and/or absorb music differently while we're driving? Or is it synonymous to the cruise control button - simply just background music to another human activity?
333 is offline   Reply With Quote