Music Banter - View Single Post - the problem with kids today
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 02:30 AM   #89 (permalink)
tinker bell
eighteen visions groupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaw
no i'm only twenty...

about 3 years ago, (where i live anyway) it was ever so trendy to be a goth/gothic, then it was ever so trendy to become garage rock, then it moved onto indie. doesnt everyone see what's happening here?

the people in each social group critisise the other's for their taste in music/dress sense/way of thinking and then go on to dress/listen/think in their own certain way which is anti-confirmist! but they are actually conforming to anti-conformity.

emo is the perfect example. recently loads of people i know are so quick to say "I'm emo", "i listen to emo music", "i'm an emo-kid" what the &*^%?

They dont like other social trends yet they follow their own? They try to be different, yet everyone in that group is similar... if a band is not emo enough (even if they might like it) they cant say so in their social group because it's not emo enough (or whatever the genre is).

Point is, young people are always trying to be part of something for acceptance and trying to classify themselves as something rather than just being an individual! Who cares if you like something you shouldn't?

I have one of the most diverse taste's in music, clothing and pastimes of anyone i know, simply because i really dont care if i fit into someone else's idea of what is "emo" or "indie" or "gothic" or "pop" or whatever the hell else?

Question is, why cant other's be like this?

(i put this in the emo forum because emo is the current trendy thing to be apparently and i'm expecting more flames that way )
I totally agree. I did post this ages ago, but you seem to have made a better point than me and you got the message across.