Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Gear (bass)
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
that's pretty cool. reminds me of a mash-up of pantera and meshuggah. good recording quality too, what did you guys use? or did you pay for studio time?

my one concern with the method you describe above is that it's an easy way to trap yourself into a corner. you seem to have a good attitude to get around that though, so long as you remember that sometimes 'not' playing a single note is more challenging than playing the entire scale.

as for CO's 5-string hate, whatever my co-worker thinks they're redundant instruments too. i can understand people not liking the extra width of the neck, that's quite understandable and it 'was' an adjustment when i made the jump. on the other hand, crapping on the instrument because you think the extra string is superfluous is foolish.

for me it's all about tone, it's the same reason one of my guitars is tuned down to C. my approach is not that i'm playing bass so i should plunk down some root notes on my low-B, but to consider its full potential range and to apply it to the moment as necessary.
Yeah I had one in my early days, it was a Stagg... nothing special but i thought i would try it. It just wasn't for me. Not to say i don't like to listen to it. I think it sounds great in certain apps. and i'm sure you can jam out some funky lines on yours, so more power to you.

p.s. I wasn't trying to generalize and say all people who play 5 string suck. It's just not my thing. You'll find my on 4 strings 4lyfe.
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote