Music Banter - View Single Post - Does anyone agreee that there is too much music out there?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dieselboy
Music Addict

Quote:
10 years ago it was because of bubblegum pop like the backstreet boys and spice girls as to why artistes couldn't make a living. 10 years before that it was grunge. 10 years before that it was new wave. before that was disco, and hard rock, and psychedelia, and rock and roll, etc. etc.

the one thing that bugs me most about this is the idea that so many musicians hold onto that they're somehow 'supposed' to be able to make a living out of strumming a couple of chords and regurgitating high school poetry because they're not doing it for 'superficial' reasons, it's art. as if self-declared 'art' is somehow superior to the tripe on the radio and should be celebrated for altruistic reasons (and not at all egotistical ones).

the masses have every right to suck and have 'bad' taste, for them music is a common background soundtrack to their lives. if you really think there's too much music out there then i strongly suggest taking the time necessary to grow the guts to stand behind your own tastes regardless of what your peers or the mainstream think. i've noticed that online forums have created what seeems to be a new generation of kids who think they 'need' to like everything in order to be 'proper' music fans and that's just wrong.
That last part actually made me stop for a second, and honestly think about whether or not I was trying too hard to enjoy as many styles as possible in order to be a 'proper fan' like you say.
I looked through my cd's and picked out quite a few at random of all different sorts of genre's, and thought about each one in particular. Metal, Techno, Classical, Jazz, Hip-Hop, Industrial...I really thought about it and I decided that I honestly enjoy every single one that I looked at. This actually ended up making me pretty happy. /shrug

@ the OP:

I feel the same way about the amount of music being overwhelming sometimes...not necessarily a bad thing though. Nothing is more fun than discovering a new band that you really enjoy. The problem is that then sometimes the site recommends you 'similar sounding bands' which you wanna check out...then you find that some of the band members were in other bands that get rave reviews, which leads you to a new sub-genre, etc, etc. Kinda never ends
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote