Music Banter - View Single Post - Overated Films
Thread: Overated Films
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 01:50 AM   #250 (permalink)
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
No. I disagree. I think it was finally something different coming from a Hollywood director and it had a very realistic view on what the slum life is like. For once it a movie hasn't been Americanised with unrealistic people falling in love in unrealistic ways. It wasn't all fun and games like the usual story about someone not calling someone else back because it was not the 3rd day after a date.

Not only that, the movie has promoted the poor lifestyles of those living in India and this may help improve the conditions of those living in their own filth. If you call this over-rated then you have high expectations.
Nice response.

It's not that the film didn't open my eyes to "those living in their own filth," if that's what you want to call poverty. It's not that it did not move me. It did, but those feelings were short-lived. Also, I do think it's Americanized because it takes an initially beautiful story and craps on it with unnecessary glamor that typical Americans are sucked into. I don't disagree with most of what you say, except that I still stand by the opinion that it is overrated. It is a beautiful piece of art, but I feel that it received more attention not as a great film, but because of its controversial reputation. Surely it has opened the eyes of some people to the poor lifestyles of those who live in India, but many people of India were offended that their country was depicted in this light. Also, I don't think the film is promoting this type of lifestyle, but exposing it to others around the world. As for my expectations, think/say what you will about them. If you ask me, the key is to not have any.

Last edited by 333; 03-31-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote