Music Banter - View Single Post - I recently started learning bass...
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Blue
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i think it's really futile to try learning a list of random tunes from strangers unless you've already tapped out everything you already like (which you haven't mentioned yet). if i've said it once....

playing music is not a competition

no one will care what tunes you know how to play unless you're auditioning for a cover band. stick with what YOU like, it'll make learning the instrument far more rewarding.

personally i'm also against getting a list of the simplest tunes to start with. i've always gone straight for the pinnacle of what i wanted to achieve in the moment with the knowledge that i would ultimately 'fail' as a beginner. first tune i tried learning on bass was 'higher ground' by the chili peppers. hard as hell when you've never slapped or popped, but i stuck with it for a while, and when i tried the 'simpler' RHCP tunes i breezed through them.

as opposed to having a steady climb i started at a personal peak (and struggled), but you better believe by the time i revisited that peak i SMOKED that bass line.
I'm the same way in a lot of senses. The first thing I started learning was the intro solo to Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which I suppose is really quite simplistic, but it was the reason I was playing, and it was my inspiration (well, Floyd in general). It also started my playing career off by doing a lot of bending, which I'm quite grateful for now because my bending and vibrato comes quite easy to me.

Years prior to this, someone tried to teach me some White Stripes song on the low E string, and I instantly lost interest. It wasn't until I heard Gilmour play that I found what I was looking for. I actually didn't learn any chords for the first little while that I played, though that came back to bite me later because I learned my rhythmic sense was absolutely awful.

I also agree with starting at the pinnacle. I didn't consciously do it at the time, but I definitely started with all the stuff that I wanted to end up doing, though I guess in my case I'm kind of lucky Pink Floyd is rather simplistic music.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote