Music Banter - View Single Post - How did you learn to mix and eq?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
Playing instruments is one thing, but I'm finding that recording, mixing, etc is a whole different ball game.

So for you experienced amateur producers out there, how did you learn to properly mix/eq your tracks? Does anyone know a good resource out there to help me learn on my own?

My story: I've been recording for a while on my own. I'm working with decent mics, cables, mixers, etc. Though I haven't had the time to switch to Cubase which came with my mixer, so I'm still running all of this through Garageband - which is fine, I like how simple and easy it is. The sound isn't quite there though.

I guess I'm looking to make this more of a science. More laid out steps so I don't end up doing so much guesswork with getting the sound I want. Any help out there in banterland?
If you can, try taking a class. I took a couple sound studio classes and they were a huge help for me. Also, read as much as you can about the subject. There are some great book out there but also a lot of article available for free online. I've found this archive of articles pretty helpful for example.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote