Music Banter - View Single Post - How did you learn to mix and eq?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Whatsitoosit
Bringer of Carrots

I agree with Satchmo... good levels and good mic placement are key. The rest is going by what is pleasing to your ear. I've gracefully bowed out of the mixing side of recording as I would rather pay close attention to how I record each of my tracks and then pass it over to somebody I trust (who mixes for a living) to make the end product sound amazing. One day I would like to get back into the mixing side of it... I currently use Digital Performer for Mac and haven't really dived into mixing within' that platform.

I used to mix everything when I recorded 4 track style (1995/1996) and then 16 track style (1999-2006)... I would just roughly place all the tracks where they felt right to my ear and then from there I would move levels around and run multiple rough mixes (play them on multiple speaker systems, in different rooms... and in the car), take notes and then go back to making a new mix while altering whatever didn't sound right from the previous listen. Keep doing this until you are happy... do this enough times and you will begin to develop an ear for what you find is right.