Music Banter - View Single Post - Slow computer.
Thread: Slow computer.
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizotypic View Post
Unfortanetly I'm not too computer savy. I wouldn't know if I already have virus protection or where to get if I didn't, or which one would be best, or how to set it to run at a certain time, or how to turn it off, or stop it from blocking certain downloads.

I'm sorry if my ignorance is making things complicated, but I'm not stupid or anything- so if I can just get an answer that makes sense one time I'll be set forever, which would be very much appreciated as I need a fast computer with all the music I've been downloading.
Spybot Search & Destroy is a decent free spyware software that actually works. There are a lot of them out there that let you download them for free, then after you run a scan it shows a bunch of spyware and **** on your computer but won't let you remove them without purchasing the product. Spybot doesn't do that. Another one to try is Trend Micro House Edition, which will go through your hard drives and Internet cookies, making sure that the ones there are ones you actually need and not spyware masquerading as helpful ones.

Unfortunately anti-virus software is something you will have to go out and buy as it is hard to find for free. You can try bit torrents if you want to download them, but it's an important software and I think is just easier to go out and buy it. I would recommend McAfee over Norton's Anti-Virus which is absolute **** in my opinion. I think you can get McAfee for like 30 or 40 bucks.

To get Spybot and Trend Micro I would suggest just going to google and doing a search. If you get Spybot then I would suggest doing a scan while you're in safemode, that way it can get the **** that latches onto your registry, to get into safe mode you have to restart your computer and just keep pressing the F8 button til a little list pops up asking if you want to start your computer in safe mode. Select yes and everything will be running in a 640x400 resolution, that is normal and you don't need to worry about it.

This is just one of the possibilities, it is very hard to accurately diagnose the problem without actually being able to physically see it and work on it. If any of the suggestions people offer you on here don't work, I suggest contacting your local tech support business and having them take a look at it.

I hope all works out and if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote