Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #179 (permalink)
Dieselboy
Music Addict

Dont think any of these are actually my favorites, but they are the most influential I guess when I actually thought about it.

Tried to put this in somewhat chronological order...

1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
The cd that got me into metal when I musta been in 6th-7th grade. My friends brother owned this and we'd listen to it whenever he wasn't around. Everntually I went to buy it for myself, ended up getting countdown to Extinction instead, and it just kinda snowballed from there.

2. Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood
Reminds me of listening to this on tape while driving to and from baseball or basketball games with my dad. My pops (a minister) hated most of my music, but actually dug this cd too. This actually made it seem cooler to me, believe it or not.
I Forgot about it for awhile until I remembered and bought and started listening to it again in recent years.
Probably the only album on this list that would actually be on my actual "top 10" list too.

3. DC Talk - Jesus Freak
Anyone who went to a christian school or was in a youth group like I was when this cd came out knows what I'm talking about here. I owned a copy and so did almost everyone else around me. It was pretty much the only half-decent christian cd out there, so it was huge. Everyone had the first few songs at least, memorized.

4. Bush - Sixteen Stone
This entire cd was pretty much and anthem for my clique of friends my freshman year in high school. We all owned a copy and had every single song memorized.

5. Jay-Z - Hard Knock Life Volume 2
Pretty much the first hip-hop cd I ever enjoyed. Listened to this all the time on my disc-man the summer it came out. Bought a new copy recently and its still pretty great.

6. DJ Dan - Another Late Night
A HUGE turning point in the way I looked at music. A friend lent me this cd and blew me away. At work the next day I pretty much insisted that he let me borrow every other electornica cd that he owned. This sent me in so many diffrent directions and sub genres of the scene, it was pretty overwhelming. My next couple on this list prove it.

7. Dieselboy - The Sixth Session
You knew this was commin... One of the cd's my friend lent me. Not Dieselboy's best cd by far, but it totally made me fall in love with drum and bass, and I bought my own copy soon after.
Now I own his entire discography, a couple shirts, and try to steal his name on every forum I sign up for and every online game I play.

8. Happy2bHardcore Chapter 3
I know most people hate happy hardcore, but this cd kicked my butt the 1st time I heard it, and I had to buy more. I have all 7 chapters now, and many many other discs of the same genre, and always list it as one of my favorites genres when asked. Its so cheesy, I love it

9. Misfits - Famous Monsters
One of the 'new' misfits cd's that 'real' fans hate. I bought this cause I heard one song on it and enjoyed it.
Later a friend that I really admired, who was also a music fan, saw me listening to it and said how much he loved them. Because of this, I ended up going backwards through all their earlier music and discovering many awesome early punk bands in the process that I still love.

10. Coltrane - A Love Supreme
One of the first jazz cd's I heard when I was trying to get into the genre. Fell In love with it and listen to it like crazy now...sometimes daily. Inspired me to finally pick up an instrument (the sax) and learn to play.

Sorry if its all kindsa long..
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote