Music Banter - View Single Post - Expand your horizon
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 AM   #47 (permalink)
Demonoid
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I need someone with a lot of knowledge about Mexican music to introduce me to some stuff. I'm not a fan of the accordion-based Mexican music that sort of sounds like polka, but I am interested in two kinds of Mexican music: Stuff with more complex percussion along the lines of a lot of South American music (I think this stuff is called cumbia) and also the kind of Mexican folk music with the fiddle and the vocals that almost sound like yodeling. I'm not even sure of the names of these genres so it's been hard for me to find anything on my own. If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.
I'm no expert, but anyways, I suppose this one is not exactly from "Mexico" but give it a try -

BABE(B)LOGUE: The Roots of Chicha - Psychedelic Cumbias from Peru (2007)

I'm not sure whether that's what you are after as I have no idea what's 'cumbia'. It just had the word and I happened to remember .

Or maybe something like this?

(Ignore the accordion pic. I'm sure you'll get through it . I find the accordion to be a bit cheesy, but that wasn't half bad. And I *think* it has some complex-tribal sort of drumming?)

Edit: And here's a track from the compilation without any vocals

YouTube - juaneco y su combo - me robaron mi runa mula

Last edited by Demonoid; 04-01-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote