Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Gear (bass)
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
holy crap hehe that's pretty nuts. i went through the whole classic rock phase too when i started out. there's nothing wrong at all with starting out there. like you said, great foundation hehe.

it's not so much of a genre trap that i was commenting on so much as a competitive philosophy. the whole 'most challening riffs you can imagine' isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as you're able to recognize that complexity for the sake of complexity becomes rather boring to most listeners. i'm not hearing anything close to it yet, just pointing out a potential obstacle further along the path.
Yeah, I hear ya. Even I can only listen to so much sweeping arpeggios and blast beats and bass tapping before I lose interest.

A balance between challenge, feeling, rhythm, intensity and subtlety, melody and harmony are always something I look for. That and originality and honest dedication are paramount. Any band that just writes songs to try to sell them I can usually see through in a heartbeat. Not to say that all rock stars are generally stupid, but if they're not, they're using their intelligence in a terrible, perverted way.

What was it that Hunter Thompson said?

"The music industry is a world where thieves and whores rule and good men are left to die in the street like dogs... There's also a bad side."
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote