Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #3008 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post

I like the concept but jeez, do I dislike the early 90s indie look and amateur acting. I loved Linklater's rant about alternate realities in the beginning though. 5/10

Edit: Oh yeah, this is the second film I've seen set in Texas with no real southern accent (Dazed and confused being the first). Is it because it's set in a bigger city? It was a bit confuzzling.
Both movies are set in Austin and by the same director so the reason for the lack of distinctly Texas accents was probably the same for both: actors who are not native Texans. Being a big college town and the state capitol, I'm sure Austin has lots of people from various places. If Linklater was just using local talent for Slacker they would probably have been a mixed bag as far as where they came from originally. In the case of Dazed and Confused you have a bunch of professional actors like Ben Afleck who aren't from Texas at all.

I'm pretty much with you on what you said about the movie. It's not a bad movie but I did find it a little tedious after a while. He basically did the same thing later on with Waking Life but I thought that was a much better movie.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote