Music Banter - View Single Post - Mastodon
Thread: Mastodon
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #159 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
I don't doubt that one bit, I guess I'm not a big fan of vagueness. Plus, I look forward to hearing different perspectives of the album. It's definitely different from what they've released so far, but Papa Roach?
To be honest, after many subsequent listens, there's little fault to find with the album. I did at first think that the singing sounded a little too "corporate rock" for my tastes, but it's really not so bad. I think the corporate rock effect came about merely because the vocals are so markedly different to anything on any prior Mastodon record (read: Hinds and Sanders have clearly been spending the past 3 years in intensive singing lessons).

I guess my only real complaint with the album is that it's moved too far away from Metal. It has its heavy moments, sure, but the foray into more straight-up prog rock is somewhat of a surprise and not an entirely welcome one.

What I do respect is that Mastodon have once again shown they are not one of those bands who simply re-record the same album over and over again. They don't become entrapped in a formula like say Opeth, and as a result do not find their music suffering from the stultifying sameness so typical of many such metal bands. I salute the Mastodon.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote