Music Banter - View Single Post - Japanese Metal Core?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
No problem, but don't get me wrong... there are some legitimately good metalcore bands out there that do a lot more than just the same Iron Maiden guitars/breakdowns combo such as Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Genghis Tron (I'd call them metalcore), and even Johnny Truant I like. They may use breakdowns a wee bit, but they at least recognize that they're not a metal band, they're a metalcore band, so they don't use a bunch of other techniques to sound more "br00tal".
I see. I feel weird about 'genres' and musical labels. I, sometimes, feel that takes away from the music itself, or limits the musician to what kind of music they make. I understand the conflicts that will come with not being specific, but at times, it can seem like yet another class system. I've tried to get into Genghis Tron, but the album (Cloak of Love) I picked up was waaay to techno for my liking. Perhaps I need to give it another whirl. It took me awhile to reallly get into DEP, but my feeble little girl mind finally gets it.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote