Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Gear (bass)
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #55 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i'd hardly call Jaco a big soloist, especially not compared to modern virtuosos. sure he would take solo spots here and there but he also knew how to get in the pocket and stay there. consider something like 'used to be a cha-cha' from his S/T album. it's not really that tough of a bass line, until you try playing it that fast for that long.

i think my favourite thing about Jaco is how he definitely still cared about how it used to be done but didn't seem to give a crap about actually doing it that way. i get the impression his preferred jazz trio would have been bass, drums, and steel drums (which is one element of his music i can't get enough of Othello Molineaux = awesome).

it's really too bad mental illness still carries the stigma it does, especially towards men in our society. that's the real tragedy of his demise.
Yeah, his work with 'Weather Report' was top notch. Their music really got me into jazz at a young age. Before I thought it was just a bunch of crappy improvised wind instruments and piano . Of course that was way back in my early RadioMute days. Once I realised there was so much more to it (including incredible bass playing). I was hooked. Jaco P. was a huge influence to me as a young bass player.
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote