Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #201 (permalink)
DeepDishBedPan
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What was important to you about each of these albums?
Marillion - Marbles
Contains three of the most beautiful and powerful progressive songs I've ever heard: The Invisible Man, Ocean Clouds, and Neverland. It was a huge surprise for me to find one of my favorite bands write one of their greatest albums 20 years after their formation.

Dada - Puzzle
Simply put, nostalgia! The opener, Dorina, is a damn groovy song that I've never gotten tired of.

Rush - Counterparts
Moderately overlooked, Counterparts doesn't get a whole lot of attention. Every song is solid and really catchy. Again, as with Dada's Puzzle, if I need to explain why it is important, it comes back to being very nostalgic for me.

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Never gave Radiohead the time of day before giving this album a listen. After immediately falling in love with it, I went back through and sort of rediscovered the whole band, gaining a new appreciation.

Marillion - Brave
A wonderfully dark concept album that developed out of a story in the paper about a girl in London who stopped traffic because she was hanging off the end of a bridge. Very original progressive rock! Just as with Marbles.

Dream Theater - Images & Words
My first CD I ever bought. I was young, 7 I believe. And although I've grown to dislike James LeBries voice, a occasionally turn back to Images & Words and find that they don't bother me on this album.

Arcade Fire - Funeral
Heard Neon Bible before Funeral. Love both, but this is gold. I hate to highlight a whole album based off just a few songs, but Wake Up has me hooked on these guys/gals. It is an example of mood and tone defining an album more than the hooks.

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
My first exposure to Andrew Bird while taking some mushroom created a pretty spectacular evening. Thus, this album conjures up some pretty lovely memories and ideas.

Allman Brothers Band - Mycology
A CD I had in my car for a hell of a long time before switching it out. This compilation draws a line in the sand where I begin to gain appreciation for blues, while still being hesitant about trying new bands. For me, its just different.

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Again, like with Allman Brothers, Mars Volta a are a little bit outside more normal comfort zone, but the inventive writing of this album, Cassandra Gemini in particular, draws me towards a new genre. I've given At the Drive-In many chances, but will likely never warm up to them.

Hope that helps.
DeepDishBedPan is offline   Reply With Quote