Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #163 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
really? you knew a lot of cavemen, then? now on the one hand you're saying morality is innate, and on the other that it evolved out of a desire to survive. now let me point out that the desire to survive is none other than the fear of death, so if you're saying that morality probably evolved out of the fear of death i would say that's certainly possible, but you haven't sidestepped the fear issue. if, on the other hand, it didn't evolve and it's just completely innate then it seems absurd that it would be the subject of so much discussion, seeing as how we all already agree.
One, stop being deliberately argumentative about every little point, it's annoying as hell. It's a proven fact that homo erectus lived in small communities, end of discussion on that. I'm arguing with you because you insinuated that the desire to do good is ONLY a result of fear, or it is instilled by god. I'm saying that for modern human beings, this desire is an internal motivation, and not magically instilled by god.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote