Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #80 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Sopwith Camel - Hello Hello
(1967)

Tracks

1 Hello, Hello 2:27
2 Frantic Desolation 2:15
3 Saga of the Low Down Let Down 1:48
4 Little Orphan Annie 2:53
5 You Always Tell Me Baby 1:47
6 Maybe in a Dream 2:02
7 Cellophane Woman 2:27
8 The Things That I Could Do With You 2:12
9 Walk in the Park 2:25
10 The Great Morpheum 2:57
11 Postcard from Jamaica 2:25

Formed in San Francisco in 1966, The Sopwith Camel were one of the first of Psychedelic groups coming out of the city to sign to a nationwide record label. The accolades for this band don't stop there; they were also one of the first of the San Francisco bands to enter the top 40, and in 1967 to follow up the success of this first single, they named their debut LP after the song and released the tremendous Hello Hello on the Kama Sutra label.

But saying all that, you still have probably never heard of The Sopwith Camel, which considering how wonderful their debut album is; is something that you might want to address. Coming to the fore with their melodic, whimsical, vaudevillian style, The Sopwith Camel were very different from their San Franciscan counterparts.

They were not really a psychedelic band like The Jefferson Airplane, and they weren't The Beau Brummels, they were really out on their own falling somewhere between sunshine pop and the trippy stuff.

This album also demonstrates that the Camel weren't some kind of poor man's Lovin' Spoonfuls either; a band that they shared the same record label as well as the same producer, Erik Jacobsen, this comparison is sometimes unfairly thrown at this band in my opinion. But in my view The Sopwith Camel were far more interesting than just a cheap imitation of another act.

Their debut, Hello Hello starts with the title track, a very whimsical and beautiful effort that sets the standard for the entire album. There is however some exceptions to the vaudevillian style of The Sopwith Camel. Track 2 Frantic Desolation and Track 7 Cellophane Woman are bluesy and have some gorgeous garage like qualities to them.

In some ways The Sopwith Camel were rather experimental, but that said, not one of these songs crosses 3 minutes and not one of these songs loses that art school feel that oozes throughout the record, but is that necessarily a bad thing?

What we have here is a record containing 30 minutes of early Prog Rock which is more than an interesting listen; it is very much something that will keep you entertained for the duration.

Shortly after this release however, The Sopwith Camel split up, but reformed in 1972; one of many splits and reunions across the years. But it must be said, that in 1967 they left us a right treat, a record that never grows tiresome, which is full of interest and is a thoroughly joyous listen, a lost gem if ever there was one.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote