Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
khfreek
What a guy

Linky>The Beginner's Guide To: MUSE<Linky

Muse is a proggy alt. rock group out of Devon, England. They formed in 1990 in their early teens, and they spent their time playing bars and recording the odd demo now and again. In 1999 they were picked up to record their first album, Showbiz. The album was produced by John Leckie, and is a dark alt. rock masterpiece that doesn't take itself too seriously, as they hadn't gotten any pomp in their rock yet. It should be noted that falsetto and hard rock were not (and still aren't) associated usually, but Muse ignored the taboo. After touring Europe for a while, they got back in the studio to record Origin of Symmetry, their greatest album. It was a perfect blend of good production, prog elements, and stadium rock, and where they established their signature sound. Hit singles off that album propelled them into stardom and they were headlining festivals all around Europe. Now at a more stable point in their career, they could easily record Absolution. It was the album that helped Muse cross over into the United States, and gave them more hits than ever. For some hardcore Muse fans, this is when they started to depart from their signature sound in favor of more poppy and classical elements, but the diversity just makes it all the better IMO. After 3 years of recording in Italy at Matt Bellamy's house in Lake Como (sounds like a recipe for pomp!), Muse released Black Holes and Revelations. Opinions are divided on this album; for some the absolute pomposity and over-the-top production turn them off, for others the diversity makes it quite a modern classic. It certainly has the most eclectic tastes of any Muse album. And in this comp, I'll attempt to cover their career and the range of their material.

EDIT: I should also say...
Matt Bellamy (Middle): Lead Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Organ
Chris Wolstenholme (Left): Bass, backing vocals
Dominic Howard (Right): Drums, Percussion

Track Listing:
1. "Falling Down" ]
2. "Showbiz" ]------ Showbiz, 1999.
3. "Unintended" ]

4. "New Born ]
5. "Citizen Erased" ]--- Origin of Symmetry, 2001.
6. "Megalomania" ]

7. "Map of Your Head" ]
8. "The Gallery" ]--------- Assorted B-sides, 2001/2
9. "Dead Star" ]

10. "Time Is Running Out" ]
11. "Hysteria" ]------------------- Absolution, 2003
12. "Butterflies and Hurricanes" ]

13. "Take a Bow" ]
14. "Map of the Problematique" ]--- Black Holes and Revelations, 2006
15. "Soldier's Poem" ]

I apologize if the tracks aren't in order in the .rar, but I suggest you listen to them in this order. Enjoy!

Last edited by khfreek; 05-01-2009 at 08:56 PM.
khfreek is offline   Reply With Quote