Music Banter - View Single Post - old hardcore v. new hardcore?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
xcult_classicx
Offset Guitar Operator

it's probably more of a scene thing. there's a bunch of 80s style youth crew kids in a scene who grew up around youth crew hardcore or whatever. that's what they grew up with, that's what they end up putting out. the same way, there's a bunch of emo nerds who grew up on dischord records and fugazi and ended up doing bands that would sound like they're on gravity or ebullition and it all goes downhill from there. either way, all styles of music are rooted in something concretely established in years gone by. some punks stayed with minor threat and ssd whilst some stayed with grey matter or soulside. eventually, these kids' bands influence others; newer, younger generations of punk kids and musicians who are willing to pick up where they left off. now you got all that stuff like have heart and carry on as opposed to i dunno, the plot to blow up the eiffel tower or bands like quebec. all these different subsets of hardcore are merely offshoots of a single branch of music and its companion ethic. if music were europe, then these newer more angular types of hardcore and the more conventional styles from back in the day are different clans/tribes are of equal gravity as part of the same bloodline differing only in the language they speak and develop. these languages are the languages of traditional punk rock opposed to that new fangled screamo/post-hardcore stuff. that's just me talking out of my ass though.
xcult_classicx is offline   Reply With Quote