Music Banter - View Single Post - I feel dumb but i need help
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Jesus people, you need to get the info before you reccomend things.

What kind of microphone do you have? If it uses a standard 1/4" Jack, then buy a cheap keyboard amplifier. It will amplifiy it reasonably well reasonably cheaply. Won't sound fantastic, but it works.

If it has an XLR type connection, then you will need to invest in system as described above (Although you CAN convert XLR to 1/4" and still use the keyboard amp idea, its not difficult)

the BEST way to do it though, is if you have a hi-fi system already, that has standard RCA phono connections free - Buy a cheap mixer, and connect the line level outputs to your hi-fi. Be careful with volume levels though! Turn the volume up on the amplifier instead of the mixer if you need more volume, since mixers are actually capable of blowing a speaker system quite easily if they're pushed too high. General rule - If ANY red LED's light up on your mixer during use, you are TOO LOUD ON THE MIXER.

Hi-Fi equipment is designed to take 2.0V inputs at MAX. A mixer is easily capable of more, and pushing it too high will blow the amp, speakers, or both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote