Music Banter - View Single Post - Deerhunter
Thread: Deerhunter
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Loots View Post
I found "Microcastle" very pleasant to listen to. It's certainly not crowd-pleasing stuff, and so I can imagine why their live performances are maligned in the way that they are. If you prefer razzle-dazzle and !PERSONALITY! (in the capitalised sense) in your music, it's probably best to look elsewhere. In fact, I would imagine that the critical hype that surrounds this band was bound to diminish in the public realm since for the most part the listening public prefer their music to be laden with razzle-dazzle and !PERSONALITY!, when this band really isn't about that, IMO.
People only interested in razzle-dazzle and, um, !PERSONALITY! (in the capitalised sense???), would almost certainly not even find themselves listening to a band like Deerhunter in the first place. As such, the lack of those two notions would not really come up as an issue.

I agree with the one who said that Cryptograms is NOT the place to start with Deerhunter. More like Fluorescent Grey EP or Microcastle. The former is probably even more accessible than the latter. Great stuff.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote