Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Collective
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #118 (permalink)
Neil Loots
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
I think Feels is a good starter album to get as it incorporates most of the styles they use without the roughness of the earlier stuff. Merriweather is brilliant but a bit watered down compared to the rest of the AC albums.
I have read that for some "Sung Tongs" marks the divide between AC's "rougher" early sound and their "more polished" later style, while for others this divide is definitively marked by "Feels". Again, I profess ignorance in this matter since I am a recent convert and have not yet had a chance to listen to their earliest work. As far as I am concerned, though, Sung Tongs has some remarkably "polished" work on it. "Feels" has a more electronic sound rather than an acoustic one, but surely this is not analogous to the difference between rough and polished? (But then again, I suppose "rough" and "polished" are not necessarily markers of "bad" and "good" . . .)