Music Banter - View Single Post - Kid A
Thread: Kid A
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
dac
MB's Biggest Fanboy

A very interesting take, to say the least, on my favorite album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Moore View Post
'Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon. There are two colors in my head.'

That's the sort of fragmented, detached images we are given right at the start of the album. This album is lyrically populated by the sort of lines that stands on the fence between heavily symbolic and perhaps that joking Dylanesque throwaway that makes the songwriter grin as dipsh*t reviewers like me try and dissect them and find a hidden meaning. The sorts of lines that while being interviewed the songwriter goes 'I don't know where that came from. Your guess is as good as mine.' This is a subconscious album. The purpose of it's lyrics are not to give you concrete meanings but phantom tones and images that evoke whatever feeling that happens to be associated with it. For each listener it's different and that's what makes it so special. And that's also what makes it so frustratingly elusive.
That section sums up what I've been trying to say about the album for a long time. It's not something straightforward and obvious, or with clear intent, and that's why it's great. I'd have no problem calling this the greatest album of all time if they had subbed out Optimistic for Pyramid Song or Like Spinning Plates.

dac is offline   Reply With Quote