Music Banter - View Single Post - Does anyone agreee that there is too much music out there?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #69 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Music Watchtower View Post
So punk was king and now its time for Prog rock to shine once again? I don't suppose that we can expect many 3 min wonders with prog rock? Clear my blurred vision but wasn't prog rock full of moog keyboards and other daft synths going on for days?

Are you guys saying that the next genre to shine is going to be most popular as bedtime music?!!
Uh.

I don't even know what you're asking.

Prog started out as a very underground offshoot of psychedelic rock. It just kinda exploded in the early 70s, then you had offshoots of it like arena rock, bands like Styx and Toto. For a while it was very overexposed. And people got tired of it and punk rock came into full form. It was the alternative to progressive rock which was considered bloated and pretentious.

Prog was already on the way out by the time punk showed up, it didn't die so much as it was banished into obscurity, but it continued to the exist with bands like Marillion and Pendragon and it stayed under the rader until bands like Muse, Porcupine Tree and The Mars Volta showed up.

So anyway, today punk is blown out and many of it's byproducts have left a nasty mark on the music industry, punk is currently in a similar position to what prog once had. And yes there is a growing increase in bands with progressive rock influences that are also enjoying mainstream success. There's certainly a growing interest in the genre, you can see it here, and you can see it when bands like Porcupine Tree are The Mars Volta make it into the billboard 100.

Now I do like punk, hence my monkier. I'm not saying punk is gonna die or should die, but it needs a break, and I think prog as both a genre and a movement has had more than enough time to finally win back the respect and popularity it once had.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote