Music Banter - View Single Post - I will judge an album by the cover.
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Default I will judge an album by the cover.

In the "Last album you bought or downloaded" thread I was intrigued to see a reply that someone "liked the look of that" when a cover was posted. The cover art was attractive so by definition the music should be as well.

Wow I thought. This was not an approach that I had ever taken. Album art has always held a certain attraction but after the fact. Example. I heard Beirut's The Flying Cup Club after being given an mp3 file. I was so impressed with the music that I bought the CD and was equally impressed with the art. The art summed up the music.

I have a great love of trawling music blogs of all genres. It dawned on me that a lot of the time I was reading an entry based on the album art alone but I was not necessarily listening to the music when presented.

So this revue thread will be different. When I find album art on a blog that I like I will also get the album and see if the music is as good, if it maybe defines the music or is just a great album cover with not so good music.

This is all subjective of course. Examples of really good art are manifold but like music are in the ears/eyes of the beholder. But it seems like a good idea and if I only get a few revues in before I get bored nothing is lost other than my already small credibility.

I hope someone enjoys this.