Music Banter - View Single Post - I will judge an album by the cover.
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Lawrence English - Kiri No Oto 2008

Tracklist
01 Organs Lost At Sea 4:42
02 Soft Fuse 6:52
03 White Spray 5:08
04 Waves Sheer Light 5:23
05 Commentary 4:30
06 Allay 5:21
07 Figure's Lone Static 7:26
08 Oamura 3:49

No doubt some will look at this cover and wonder the attraction. The black text is superfluous and maybe some will see "just" a picture of the sea and the sky but I found it haunting. Maybe because I was born by the sea but have never really lived by the sea.

The sea I was born by was grey and blended into the sky. North Atlantic.
The sea I now live near is bright and blue and constant. South Pacific.

For arts and music's sake I think I prefer that grey sea against that grey sky. It is more thoughtful, more morose and gloomy. Will anyone understand this? If one is living by a grey and dank sea the bright and blue sea is always more appealing. But just maybe the constant bright sun on the constant bright blue ocean under the constant bright blue sky can lose it's appeal to those that constantly live with it.

Lawrence English is a composer living in Brisbane, Australia, my city of residence. Why had I not heard of him before? I have always tried to keep a track of the more underground members of the local scene. A man living in the sun with a less than sunny album cover. I should not be surprised. Brisbane artistes have always kicked out against their circumstances be that political, cultural or environmental.

As to the music, I was presented with what went ideally with the cover. Soundscapes that portrayed dark (shades of grey?) environments. The vast majority of the music is formless and to me comes back to a stripped back sound that is part Tangerine Dream and part Brian Eno's dark and industrial ambient minimalism. I had initially placed the music onto my walkman and in the dark walked and let the sonic sounds take me away. I walked by the river and over the bridge and by the lakes around the nearby University. I could imagine the album cover. It was perfect. 999% of this world would not have get one iota of understanding that enjoyment but that did, nor does it, matter. Unlike some ambient style music that becomes just part of the background this seemingly fills the mental silences and adds to the visual. Stand under that bridge and watch the river meander below as the night lights brighten and let sonic sounds take over.

On return I found that I had to read further. I found that Kiri No Oto translates from the Japanese as "Sound of fog" It seemed rather apt. Even now as I play this record I look out the window and the non stop sunny sky is constant as usual but the formless sounds of this dark but beautiful album seem to be ideal to escape the pounding sun.

So who will not like this album? Many. The young Rocker will not understand it nor want to, the old Classicist will find it formless and accuse it of being a sham and those in between will never even want to go there.

Who will like it. The lovers of form without shape. Those that can walk in the dark and imagine grey seas blending into grey skies. The dreamers among us.

Judging this album by the cover can be considered a success on a personal level. This could be an interesting exercise.