Music Banter - View Single Post - The Alfred Top 25
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #68 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

*groan* we already saw a Cancer Bats album!

8. Cancer Bats "Hail Destroyer" (2008)

What it is: Heavy Metal with a punk rock attitude
Favorite Track: Deathsmarch

In 2008 Cancer Bats returned with a louder, darker, and heavier take on their metallic hardcore punk sound. This time the Bats showed off their headbanger sides with sharper riffs, screaming vocals, and pure rock 'n roll rage. May I present Hail Destroyer.

Even from the opening riffs of the title track, it is clearly evident that Hail Destroyer is not a repeat of the hardcore punk craziness that was Birthing The Giant. That said, it's still Cancer Bats. There's still a southern-fried punk rock aesthetic, and they're still all about energy.

While you won't find random and purposely cheesy lines such as "Let's do this!", everything you loved about Liam Cormier is back and better than ever, and this time he even brought a few friends along. Harem Of Scorpions features an intense duet with Rise Against's Tim Mcllrath, and as much as I dislike Rise Against, the guy does a fantastic job. Deathsmarch features Alexisonfire backing vocalist and lead guitarist Wade MacNeil, while Smiling Politely has the amazing screams of Ben from Billy Talent. Oh, and there's still tons of "HEY!"'s.

Here's a favorite selection of mine:
Quote:
Off my chest
That shit you talked got me pretty god damned stressed
Worst part is I'm just one case in a long line
That you've fucked with
Worse stories can't compare
To all the shit that you've done in a year
I swear karma's gonna burn you down like a witch
Paybacks a bitch
Birthing The Giant felt like the kind of album you play when you want to jump around and go crazy. This one feels like the kind of album you play when you're angry and want to beat the crap out of someone. It's not angry as in the Five Finger Death Punch way, but more in a sleazy, drunken punk rock kind of way. A lot of this has to do with the rhythm and pacing of the songs. Many of the songs are considerably slower than we've heard before, some even sound like sludge metal. However, Pray For Darkness sounds like it could be a pissed off Converge song.

I have often found myself asking which is the better of the two Cancer Bats albums, but as the placements suggest, it is Hail Destroyer. This album feels a lot more complete than Birthing The Giant, and the Bats seem to have done what they wanted. They've got some bluesy stoner rock songs, some hardcore punk, and their straight-up fist-pumping metal. One of the best releases of 2008, and one of my favorites for sure.