Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Greatest Progressive Rock Artists.
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
You know they were stretching for acts when Trans Siberian Orchestra makes it. Kraftwerk and Can seem like their places should have been switched. GY!BE? Are they actually prog? The Mars Volta deserve to be ahead of shit like Fates Warning. Nice to see some love for Comus though. Genesis should be down about 20 spots imo. I could go on but meh...
Math rock and post rock are considered off shoots of prog to a degree. The kind of things math rock bands do isn't too different from what King Crimson was doing in the early 70s.

I think Godspeed could be considered prog. Of course post rock is such a unique category that can't just easly be pigeonholed into another genre, but it's basic premise isn't all that different from prog, in that it's anti-rock music, Godspeed do undeniably have a lot of prog elements. Complex, multi-layered and really long compositions, as well as classical and jazz influences.

As for Genesis, sorry dude but they're definetely top 5 worthy, they were one of the most original bands for their time, they're one of the most acclaimed prog bands and they're easly the most influencial prog band after KC and Yes.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.