Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Grunge Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 AM   #528 (permalink)
90s_Boy
Groupie

I see a wide range of different ages that listen to "grunge".
High school age - 50 year olds...

Myself being 21, I consider myself to listen to a lot of grunge music as well as 60s, 70s, 80s and current rock. The main grunge bands I listen to include Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and including solo albums from various "grunge" vocalists. I also sometimes listen to Stone Temple Pilots, screaming trees and smashing pumpkins....
I also enjoy listening to other bands incuding Audioslave (post grunge and metallica (metal/hard rock)....

and classics like... Jimmy Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppellin, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springstein and even the Beatles.... the list goes on and on....

I find they all are quite different musically, but certainly do hold there similarities. Grunge or not grunge I like the music. I enjoyed listening to most of these bands before I even knew what grunge was, yet alone that they were labelled as grunge.

I have never got into Nirvana... and dont even own one of there albums. Despite this when I'm listening to the radio and a Nirvana song comes on, I enjoy it because it is a contrast to a lot of the stuff on the radio at the moment and I appreciate that they are a good band.... I just dont really enjoy there music as much.

There definetly is a lot of crap music being produced atm... but there is also a lot of good stuff... mostly underatted and not very well known.

In the end I love a lot of grunge music and would say grunge music has been a big part of my CD collection... but not the only.

I like AIC because Layne and Jerry's vocals were just amazing together as well as the heavy/slow riffing mixed with softer elements.
I like Pearl Jam because I think Eddie has a great voice and the whole band works really well together to make songs that have depth and meaning, Mikes guitar work goes well and his solos are great.
Soundgarden cos of Chris Cornells insane voice... 4 octavesand deep and high long notes. He can really change his voice and control it well.
I think his voice really shines through in Temple of the Dog and again Mikes guitar work goes well with the vocals.

In the end I dont care if its labelled grunge, alternative rock, metal, punk or what ever.

Not everyone is going to agree with me and thats fair enough. I enjoy the music I listen to and it helps me have fun in life.
People need to stop worry about the labels on music and just listen to the music for the MUSIC!

I think I will go and listen to some music now!

Last edited by 90s_Boy; 04-20-2009 at 04:28 AM.
90s_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote