Music Banter - View Single Post - The Vaselines
Thread: The Vaselines
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonace View Post
Yeah I was also quite surprised there wasn't already a thread on them. I also have the Way of the Vaselines and (preparing for backlash) I think it owns all of the Indi stuff we have today.. but then again I haven't bought an Indi record since 2007.
i would say that's not an outlandish claim to make, without wanting to get into another discussion about the 'definition of indie'. There has been loads of indie pop worth buying since this, but then it all sounds the same so who's to say? The Vaselines brought together several different strains on that one record though - shoegazey stuff, slightly grungey Subpop stuff, twee lo-fi ditties.... they had it all really.
And I like bands who left us with one easy-to-digest collection of great songs then had the good grace to bugger off.

I will say though that the Vaselines had quite an edge to them, Eugene Kelly and Frances McKee play off eachother really well - Kelly sounds like that guy from Spacemen 3 (name?) and McKee provides the kind of angelic/generic female vocals you can hear in hundreds of 80's indie bands.

Fave songs? Mine are Son of a gun and Monsterpussy

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote