Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Angelo Batio
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Let's just say that unless you don't know what a guitar is, it should be obvious that he is a good guitarist.
sorry, as someone who's been playing guitar since the average user on this site was in pre-school / kindergarten i'm gonna have to disagree.

he's about as 'good' as any 17 year old you see in a music store playing along to whatever classic rock is being pumped through the air. the ONLY reason he stands out and has ANY sort of recognition is because of his ridiculous multi-necked guitars. otherwise he's about as 'good' as that guy from poison, or that guy from whitesnake, or that guy from RATT... ie he's a generic cheeseball.

while his ambidexterity is impressive, it's clear that one hand is dominant. if all he was concerned with was how his music sounded as it was played he could easily use a sampler/loop effect to recreate what he does with the 2nd neck. but that doesn't draw nearly as much attention.

as for the quad guitar. WTF was that? he only used 3 of the necks. the bottom right never got touched. the two on the left were played THE EXACT SAME WAY, the one of the top right was still played using his 'regular' hands, only they're crossed but he's still fretting with the left and picking with the right. the only time he holds onto both necks at once is when the other guy is noodling or he's holding a bend. ultimately there is NO reason to be using a multi-neck guitar for that solo, it's not like they're in different tunings, or have different tones, or 12 strings, or any valid reason to have multiple necks. just 'HEY LOOK AT MY CROTCH'.

the 2nd video is significantly better but still cheesy as hell, it's like something you'd hear over the closing credits to some 80s b-grade action movie mashed in with a leftover alice in chains riff from the dirt sessions.

his whole hand over the neck instead of under the neck is on the same level as some balding pot bellied middle aged wanker dancing a two step while picking and grinning with his guitar behind his head because he's 'pulling a hendrix'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote