Music Banter - View Single Post - Ambient music...
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
Keigh
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonai View Post
Guys, why does everyone like Eno's tracks? I personally respect him for actually starting the idea of ambient music, but his tracks are horrible imo. Not atmospheric and pretty boring. Someone cares to explain?
What tracks are you listening to? Have you tried Music for Airports, On Land, Apollo & Atmospheres, Discrete Music or his collaborations with minimalist Harold Budd, Robert Fripp or David Bowie from the album "Low"?? Many of those albums are more than just someone holding down some chords. They are tape loops and studio manipulations and other treatments. Quite revolutionary for a rock artist.

I grew up listening to his music in the late 70s so my perspective comes from hearing him as one of the pioneers of this music as a genre. His style is less active and more minimalist than his german counterparts in electronic music (Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schultze, etc).

And of course, there's no reason to think you have to like an artist because he's considered a pioneer of a specific style. There are plenty of artists of whatever genre I'm listening to who are considered masters and whose albums are "must-haves" who do nothing for me. Maybe his style just isn't for you. Ambient music isn't just one style. It can be as multi-dimensional and sub-genre as classical, jazz or rock and all their branches.
Keigh is offline   Reply With Quote