Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus' 1001 Albums you should listen to before you die
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

Album 998

John Martyn - Bless the Weather
Year: 1971

What a great album title for a British musician. Bless the Weather started to define Martyn's unique sound, surprisingly mellow but lacking the layers of Nick Drake's two first albums. It works incredibly well with Martyn's Vocals and it creates what I feel is the perfect folk feel. This is true folk like it was supposed to be made, the album is near flawless and certainly a gem that will stick with you long after first and tenth listen. Be careful however, don't let it fade into the background or you'll miss some of the subtleties that make Martyn great. I chose this album over Solid Air because it is more interesting to see the development of the artist than the final blossom. And Bless the Weather is by no means a lesser album, I think it's greater for it, it showcases what Martyn could do with his songs purely in the capacity of a folk artist. Put this on, close your eyes and let the lushness and beauty of the music just wash over you. RIP.

3 Choice Tracks: Go Easy, Just Now, Back Down The River
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm

Last edited by Comus; 04-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote