Music Banter - View Single Post - The Davey Moore Top 100
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Davey Moore
The Great Disappearer

Default The Davey Moore Top 100

Finally, I've got around to it, I've got a completed list, and I'll be posting my top albums.

100. Pinkerton – Weezer

It's strange to me that I'm starting this list off with this band, a band I expected not to like and started to really get into only a couple of weeks ago. Despite all of that, this is truly a moving album and the choice of leaving "Butterfly" last was a good one. It gives the album an emotional resonance that stays in your memory, though it really only delivers on the concluding track. If there were more songs with the emotional delivery of "Butterfly" maybe this would be higher. However, the utter sincerity of this album cannot be overlooked.

99. 1990 – Daniel Johnston

O, the crazy artistic genius is such a romantic role. If you've seen the stunning documentary The Devil and Daniel Johnston, you'll see a portrait of a man truly on a different wave length. With an almost childish voice that never seems to be quite on pitch and an obsession with cartoons and the devil, this is his most accessible album, and it's his greatest.

98. The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground

It seems like a bad move to oust John Cale, but Lou Reed did it, and wouldn't ya know, The Velvet Underground still sound f*cking fantastic. But it's a different sort of fantastic. A soft, cuddly fantastic, not the frantic, cocaine riddled fantastic of their previous records. A great album from one of the greatest bands.

97. The Queen is Dead – The Smiths

Morrissey is a son of a b*tch, but every once and a while he writes really decent songs. It's a good thing that a lot of them are on one album, and it's this one. To me though, nothing he ever writes will beat the opening song on this album. The second song is really good too, very sarcastic and tongue in cheek. The album sort of blends into one song from here on, at least in my opinion, until the last song, which is once again fantastic.