Music Banter - View Single Post - The Davey Moore Top 100
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Davey Moore
The Great Disappearer

92. Hootenanny – The Replacements

My first encounter with this great band was late one night, last year. I was watching the credits of Jackass Number Two, and this song came on. It was rough, painful and from the soul. It screamed, "We're getting nooooo place!" and I was immediately struck. That song was Treatment Bound by The Replacements. It's the highlight of an amazing album. That's the one big thing I owe Jackass, is they introduced me to this band.

91. Surfer Rosa – Pixies

The best part about Fight Club to me was that kickass song at the end. That got me into the Pixies. The surreal sort of punk, the structure of the songs, that was something instantly trademarked by this band, and their influence on the American musical landscape is inescapable.

90. In the Attic of the Universe – The Antlers

I'm proud of myself for even knowing about this album. Usually I don't dig too deep in the obscure pile to find things, because I'm lazy, but one night on the internet I happened to find an indie-folk band not even Pitchfork had heard of, but they sounded great. The melodies are catchy and brilliant, and does more in 27 minutes than some band do in five albums.

89. I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One – Yo La Tengo

The first song on this album, an instrumental reminiscent of the guitar from 'The End' from The Doors, and matches it in it's apocalyptic mood, sets a very high standard that is hard to live up to. However it does, and thank God for that. It's one part folk, one part rock, some part electronic, and experimental. But mostly it's beautiful, sounding numb and drug addled, singing songs about the end of the world.