Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #3166 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roygbiv View Post
what'd you see in them?

i appreciated the fountain... slightly.

maybe if i hear some of your input on it....
Both movies just have this feeling to them that I absolutely love. It's a real gut thing for me for both of them and not the easiest thing to put into words but I'll give it a shot.

The Fountain is almost the cinematic equivalent of a poem. I had a few friends who didn't like it because they found it kind of incoherent but I think they felt that way because they were looking for a comprehensible plot in a movie that isn't about plot. That's the reason I compare it to a poem, it's about motifs and ideas and feeling, not plot. For me it communicated things about the nature of existence that can't really be put into words but really resonated on a deep level with me. Watching it was like meditating and it was the type of movie that I kept thinking about for days after I saw it.

Vanilla Sky is a little easier to explain. First of all I thought it had a cool story with an interesting ending. Secondly, I loved the way every square inch of the movie was stuffed with all kinds of information. It gave it a real layered feeling which I love in a movie. I also, just enjoyed the overall tone of the movie, which was very autumnal if that makes sense. Very introspective and beautiful in the way I've always felt the fall is. The only real complaint I have about Vanilla Sky is the casting. I think having big movie stars in it—I mean Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz specifically—took away from the movie a bit for me. I would've preferred unknowns or least people who weren't quite so famous.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote