Music Banter - View Single Post - Late Of The Pier
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

HEY, f*cking BUMP

It's 10 months odd later and the album Fantasy Black Channel is unheralded in almost all quarters, I think the 'young upstarts riding on hype limited-pressing indie label singles debut album soon the kids love it NME nu-rave tagging shit' reputation preceding it's release probably did not give their record the discerning listeners (i.e. musicbanter people with glasses and top 100 avant-prog album countdown threads) it thoroughly deserves.

Let me paint a picture for you: take the most energetic parts of the highly annoying 'post-punk revival'/syncopated snares/dance-y/synth-pop thing - BUT put it in the hands of these wildly ambitious fruitcakes who give the ADD 90's teeny-boppers the hooks they need to understand anything within complex, multi-part, eclectic arrangements with a disparate array of influences you will only get piecemeal with other flavour-of-the-month types. The video posted above is a particularly good example of LoTP taking this very recognisable, generic hit sound (I speak for UK-dwellers at least) and stretching it out and just bloody experimenting.

One comparison that has been drawn I just read is Frank Zappa which didn't make any sense until just now... The album is a very catchy Gary Numan rip-off album on the face of it, yes, but you will not be able to fully absorb it with two or three listens, this is where the band wins. Then you'll start to hear the ostentatious glam, the progressive elements, the punk, the Afro-beat (in the tradition of great post-punk of yore I'm sure you will agree).

They endear themselves to me for being so brash and so annoyingly loud (the production is typically modern overcompensation, the vocals are peaking out on one mid-album track, which is f*cking annoying and hurts on headphones) that you realise it's just unselfconscious - they are (or were) a very young band. Album's not perfect but the next one would definitely be one to watch, if this was the late 70's. edit: they are from Leicestershire, which if you have ever been there will explain a lot

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 04-25-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote