Music Banter - View Single Post - An album a year for each year you are alive
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #63 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

Thumbs up

(Sorry I ran out of room)
2001- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- B.R.M.C- ( I was really struggling with this year as nothing really stood out in comparison to previous, but I have chosen this album from what I would define as a modern version of The Velvet Underground. I first came across them by mistake on Tv years ago playing a small intimate acoustic gig in what looked like an underground pub either in London or somewhere in America (sorry cant remember). Since then I have not been able to obtain any live material from them. Can anybody help us out?
2002-Johnny Cash- American IV- (Rick Rubin did a great job in re-creating Johnny Cash for the modern generation and won him a lot of new fans. Also the song 'Hurt' is so fitting to Johnny Cash's situation at the time that I thought he had actually written it himself (until I heard Nine Inch Nails originallty wrote it). Also 'The Man Comes Around' is a terrific song & one he wrote himself for the album.
2003- Blur- Think Tank- (I know Im copying the previous but nothing I have from that year compares to this album. Firstly it is nothing like Blur's previous work or even recognisable as Blur. To me this really is the peak of Damon Albarn's creativity.
2004- R.E.M.- Around The Sun- (There is something about this album that is unexplainable, it just clicked with me from the moment I heard it. I know the music isnt exactly innovative in sound or anything, just a great album to me.)
2005- Supergras- Road To Roeun- (To me this is the turning point to a band whose music previously came across as really childlike anthems. 'Coffee In The Pot' is also immense. Great to hear a band like Supergrass maturing.)
2006- Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam- (This cements Pearl Jam's postition as still one of the most kick ass bands in American Rock. Great songs from start to finish. What a return to form.Cant wait for the next one.)
2007- The Coral - Roots & Echoes- (This to me is the peak of The Corals songwriting. Such beautiful melodies from start to finish. What I will never understand is how this is the lowest selling album they have put out to date and how people dont appreciate what is (IMO) a truly wonderful work of art.)
2008- Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago ](This is great in terms of the emotion involved in the music. The guy had split up with his girlfriend and chose to take refuge up in a log cabin for around 6 months up in the mountains (Wisconsin or somewhere) and live a fantasy life hunting animals in order to survive. Whats better he recorded a record which captures how he was feeling at the time and the raw emotion is plain to hear on this album. 'The Wolves Act 1 & 2' is excellent.)
2009- John McCusker- Under One Sky- (Not long into the year & I have heard a few great albums already, chose this one from a Scottish folk musician (fiddle player). This music also has a very emotional feel to it and he plays a song with Graham Coxon near the end on it. Also some of the vocals on this album are just beautiful.)

So there you have it , I used Windows Media Player to find a suitable album for each year and tried to keep the one band one album rule.
Anyway let us know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.

Last edited by Mirrorball95; 04-26-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote