Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #87 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Pretty Things - Get The Picture?
(1965)

Tracks

1 You Don't Believe Me 2:23
2 Buzz the Jerk 1:54
3 Get the Picture? 1:55
4 Can't Stand the Pain 2:41
5 Rainin' in My Heart 2:30
6 We'll Play House 2:33
7 You'll Never Do It Baby 2:26
8 I Had a Dream 2:58
9 I Want Your Love 2:16
10 London Town 2:26
11 Cry to Me 2:51
12 Gonna Find a Substitute 2:57
13 Get a Buzz 4:01
14 Sittin' All Alone 2:47
15 Midnight to Six Man 2:19
16 Me Needing You 1:58
17 Come See Me 2:38
18 L.S.D. 4:58

Standing, or collapsing in some cases, seamlessly more primal and dirtier than The Rolling Stones, The Pretty Things in the mid sixties were the ultimate band for scaring not just the parents, but also shocking the entire fabric of British society. In later weeks, we will of course be visiting The Pretty Things self-titled debut in 1965, but today it is to the follow up, Get The Picture? released on Fontana Records in December 1965.

The Pretty Things had already established themselves at Fontana for being totally uncontrollable and mercilessly unapproachable in the recording studio, The Pretties therefore found themselves having the freedom to sound pretty much as they saw fit, a luxury that many of their peers at the time could only dream of.

The Pretty Things’ self-titled debut in 1965 was an extremely raw outing, the musical equivalent of carpet-bombing. With Get The Picture? we begin to see a real development of the band towards control and using their arsenal for to-the-bone R&B in a more humane way, if such a thing could ever exist.

The album begins with the soft and gentle-ish You Don’t Believe Me, which is actually quite timid for this band but with the snarling vocals of Phil May, its unquestionably a Pretty Things attempt to try and at least be tender, but by Track Two the true nature of the beast is unveiled with Buzz The Jerk with its dirty bass riff, the filthy guitar of Taylor and almost sinister vocals, proper!

The title track then follows in a similar vein, and should set you up nicely for what else is contained within the vast majority of this album. We’ll Play House, Rainin’ In My Heart and LSD (That’s right, in 1965) all have that hard edged aggresive approach not matched by many British bands at the time.

Other highlights include Cant Stand The Pain, which undoubtedly shows hints of the promise that this band will fulfil in later releases. This is further exemplified with London Town, with the vocal style of May definitely having an impact on Peter Doherty of Libertines fame in later life.

As is the way, in later years there have been extended reissues of this album to include the glorious singles and rarities The Pretty Things were also recording at the time this album was made, the best of which is the pure filth of Come See Me, this really is an outstanding version.

I don’t think I am alone, but since my first listen, I have always loved the way The Pretty Things produced their early stuff, particularly here with this album, there is no over production if any, there is no thrills, no tricks and no conning of the audience, its just proper Rhythm and Blues in its purest form, and for me, that’s all you can ask for really.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote